Thursday, August 21, 2008

Movie Review: The Bucket List

I suppose I am a bit behind the times with this review. However, for my hard earned money (earned, for example, by writing online movie reviews) and for the fact that you can't have conversations with your friends at the movies, I save most movies until I can rent them. My latest was "The Bucket List," which I watched with my wife, Heather.

Edward Cole (Jack Nicholson) and Carter Chambers (Morgan Freeman) share little in common but a hospital room and terminal cancer. These commonalities spark a renewed sense of vision for them both, however, through a piece of yellow legal pad paper on which is scrawled the bucket list. This list, a selection of things one wants to do before they kick the bucket, even reflects their differences: Carter, the mechanic who gave up his dreams of teaching so that his kids would not have to forsake their own dreams, wishes to help a stranger, witness something majestic, and drive his dream car; Edward, the wealthy hospital chairman, seeks to kiss the most beautiful woman in the world, hunt the "big cat," and sky dive. Joining together, Edward and Cole seek to complete this list together. Along the way, Edward confronts his loneliness while Carter battles his flagging marriage.

I liked this movie. I thought it was funny in parts and was not drawn out. It tried a little too hard to be profound at times, but, hey, when is Morgan Freeman's voice not automatically profound? Both Nicholson and Freeman played their roles well, complementing more than contrasting with each other's style. The movie also provided a few spots of refection: how our beliefs influence our actions; what true goals are; the importance of relationship; the role of joy in our own lives and through us to others.

More than the story, acting, humor, and intentional moments of reflection, however, "The Bucket List" gives us the opportunity to think theologically or, more exactly, eschatologically--or about the end of this life and the resurrection of the next. I'd like to reflect on this a little bit together in the (hopefully) ensuing conversation. To start us off, here are a few questions. Feel free to answer one, two, or three (and ones not asked!) but try to keep comments to shorter lengths that are more readable.

  • What kinds of things might be on your own "bucket list"? Why are they included?
  • Does believing that our bodies will be raised and renewed with life influence what our "bucket lists" contain? How so?
  • Do you think we will be able to do things like race cars, climb mountains, sky dive in the resurrection? What things might you want to do that you think you won't be able to do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too enjoyed this movie. Unlike most I have never written a "bucket list". Never really had much desire to finish a list of things before i were to "kick the bucket". But if I did, it would probably have things on it like, travel to a new place, make or travel all 50 states. Before a recent conversation that I had I would have said I didn't think you would be able to do much "in" heaven other than worshiping the Lord. Just because I was always taught that when we died our bodies would lay in the ground and our souls would reach heaven. But now after that conversation I would definitely have to reconsider those thoughts.
To think about Jesus and what he was able to do and did after his resurrected body makes me think I will be able to do things in heaven that I never would have thought of doing.

Unknown said...

I used to dream of traveling but am quite content right now to continue being a homebody at this point in my life. My bucket list includes: to complete a masters degree, to read all of the books I want while lying on a beach, to see my grandchildren grow into adulthood and share special memories with them such as graduations, weddings and parenthood.
I look forward to heaven, not hurting physically and kind of see myself dancing in a field surrounded by flowers...or is that a shampoo commercial :)