Monday, October 23, 2006

Evangelism Remixed

Sometimes seeing a word used in another context helps to rejuvenate it and give it fresh meaning. This morning I stumbled on such a new context. I was watching some news channel and a clip about a new Phys Ed program came on. It tries to engage more and more students in smaller groups of games, sports, and activities so that more can be involved and so that the less athletic aren't immediately discouraged. One of the promoters was mentioning how this program has created excitement in the homes of students because of the students talking about the fun of being physically active. The promoter said, "The kids have become the evangelists." This guy had taken a word that we usually connect with talking to blatant strangers in uncomfortable settings and revived it--literally "gave it life"--in a new context. And what were the kids doing? Just what Pastor Gary said yesterday: Telling what they had seen and heard.

It reminded me that we're evangelists for things all the time. I recently saw "The Prestige" and have been telling people about it; I tell people about our church; I tell people how my successes; I tell people about my friends. I am an evangelist for different good things in my life. I suppose this means the hard part is not being an evangelist--we do this all the time. The hard part is being an evangelist of God's Kingdom in ways that people need and understand.

What do you think?

No comments: