Friday, July 11, 2008

Qualities vs. Qualifications

Paul gives a list of things belonging to the "earthly nature" that Christians should "put to death" (Colossians 3:5): sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed. He goes on to say we should clothe ourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience (v. 12). The trend as Christians is to confuse qualities of a Christian with qualifications for becoming one.

In Colossians 1, we read that it is God who has qualified us by rescuing us. We do not need to line up a list of qualifications to enter the Kingdom of the Son. We need not and cannot qualify ourselves.

However, Christians have the opportunity and responsibility to grow in their Christlike qualities. Christians ought to be people who exhibit compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Without such qualities, one can wonder at why they are missing out in part of the joys of being in friendship with God! What is keeping them from it? But should we get too focused on the questions of why, we should note that the qualities themselves come because we are simply dearly loved by God. Such love is transformative and its growth in us is grounded in the hope that we have (1:5).

What qualification have you typically thought you needed to become a Christian?
What qualities do you need to grow in as your friendship with God deepens?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think your statement “...Christians have the opportunity and responsibility to grow in their Christlike qualities” touches on the very crux of the issue you've put forth, particularly the misunderstanding of how “responsibility to grow” is lived out.

We are tempted...if not trained...to see responsibility translated into a list of do’s and don’ts. If I go to church weekly, read my bible daily (especially Proverbs :), tithe financially, live morally, and evangelize the lost, then I’ll grow into Christlikeness. The faulty assumption, as I’ve begun to understand it, is in believing that through participation in such religious gymnastics we can transform ourselves. In fact, it is the Creator God who planted the very seeds of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience in our spiritual DNA. It is through relationship with him that he is able to nurture and grow those seeds. I don’t know how he does it but I know that he does.

God loves us whether we do or don't do all those things. When the seeds of compassion, kindness, etc. begin to take root in our hearts, we begin to sense Father's heart and discover how it wants to communicate with us (Bible and other ways), who he wants us to develop relationships with and fellowship with, which needs he would have us meet financially. We then just live as moral people - because there is no desire to live otherwise and evangelism is a natural outcome of these things.

I once heard this quote: "The sad truth is most of us have had far more training in religion than we have had in relationship." I know that to have been the case in my Christian life.

The last instruction Jesus left his followers was to remain, or abide in him, and to love each other. They had learned to just live with him over the 3+ years they were together, and Jesus wanted to continue that relationship within them after his resurrection. Without that relationship, Jesus warned us, we would not be able to do anything that would be fruitful for his work in us or those around us.

I have come to see in more recent years that as I simply abide in him...rest in him...I am amazed at how much transformation takes place. When I’m operating in my own strength, fully engaged in all the do's and don'ts, ministries and activities, my growth is stunted.

What quality do I need to grow in friendship with God? I need to be an “abider”. That's when he abides in me and all the qualities of Christlikeness overtake all the qualities of Beth-likeness.

Aaron Perry said...

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the comment. It is amazing to see God's love for us unconditionally, outside our performances. I am a fan of the spiritual disciplines--means of grace (somewhat oxymoronic! :)--but they can become abused--and be means of abuse, as well.

I tried to communicate at the end of the sermon the various reponses to the immensity of Christ. I think your position of 'abiding' is a necessary one and one the evangelical church has partially forgotten in its drive to do and minister.

Unknown said...

I appreciate the insight you've gained and shared at the end of your sermon last Sunday. I'm not sure I would limit the various "responses" to four nor categorize them within generational groupings. I know some grandmas and grandpas who are ready to "charge the mountains" with you and not just watch their children and children's children. Likewise, I know some young folks who are in a place of rest after experiencing a life's worth of challenges before many of their seniors.

I'm not sure, but even being in a place of "abiding" can require more enthusiasm and commitment than a "charge up a mountain" :)

None the less, I agree that all perspectives are necessary for the healthy body life of the Church.

Aaron Perry said...

I wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for drawing out these differences.