Friday, January 06, 2006

Listening, Healing, and Ministry

There is no question that we all need affirmation and attention. No question, at all. A little bit of this was highlighted in the quote about welcoming a baby into the world, showing them that they are welcome. Opticalwaveguy stretched the discussion a bit by talking about adults. One of the best ways to "welcome" an adult, to express worth to them is by listening.

Keith Wales said a few weeks ago that listening to people tell their story brings healing. This has fascinated me ever since I heard him say it. Giving people the attention and opportunity needed to speak in meaningful ways, to tell their stories, brings healing. It is thereby ministry.

I have often fallen prey to the desire to "do ministry" rather than **be** a minister. Doing ministry is much easier than being a minister. Doing ministry has start and stop times, goals, dates, "jobs well done" at the end. Being a minister is ongoing and extensive; it requires creativity and availability; it may get no "jobe well done" whatsoever.

The connections between being a minister and listening, I think, cannot be exhausted. May God make us a community of listening people--a community of ministers. Amen. (And thank God for the listeners he has placed in our midst, already!)

1 comment:

Beth said...

Psalm 46 comes to mind - vs 10 I think: "Be still and know that I am God." I never thought of this verse in the context of listening to others but it works. I just came from a dear friend who is pre-christian. She's really hurting. The best thing I could do is listen - listen to her share her story but also listen to her silent weeping - and pray...or...be still and know that God has the answer and is the answer to her every need.
From a collection of experiences I agree...listening brings healing.

PS: opticalwaveguy: I have to say that this was the first comment you wrote that I could almost track with and understand. Thanks for keeping this one a bit more straightforward and less complex. I have difficulty dialoging when I'm uncertain what another blogger is trying to convey.